Sunday, July 19, 2009

I BUILT SOMETHING THAT WORKS !!

I know many of you thought I reached my prime last year when I successfully installed a dimmer switch in the dining room. Yes, I was quite impressed myself. I had to top that though.

So today Nichole was at a bridal shower and I was kind of bored. Ok, that's an understatement - I had nothing to do. Some friends of mine have been raving about how much better their over-the-air HDTV is vs. Comcast. I have borrowed an antenna or two in the past, but I couldn't pick up a signal for my HDTV...mostly because it's in my basement. Well today I decided to build my own antenna (I bet Greg just cringed).

I went to Radio Shack and spent a few bucks on a transformer thingamabobber. Then I went to Home Depot and purchased a piece of wood, some screws, and washers. I came home and pulled six hangers out of my closet. I followed the YouTube man's instructions, and presto magic...I just made an "HD" antenna..for < $10!

The moment of truth was hooking it up...it worked! I picked up CBS, ABC, CW, FOX, and some other weird channel with a guy talking about religion - all in glorious (some more glorious than others) HD. I can't seem to get NBC though! :-( I don't know why since it's in the same direction as another channel and antennaweb.org tells me that it should be "easier" to get than some of the others.

Here's a pic of the FOX signal I have:
The picture quality is great, but maybe I think it looks better because I built the antenna..and because I made the thing for $10 vs. paying $50 for an antenna that doesn't even work.

And no, Nichole is NOT impressed. Apparently this antenna is not aesthetically pleasing since she asked me when I'm throwing it out. She was dead serious.

4 comments:

Greg said...

I have the printed instructions for that very antenna and was going to try it out after we move to WA.

I'll spare you the technical lecture about why the picture really is much much better than the compressed Comcast "HD", but I will say this -- don't let Nichole throw it out. Whenever she suggests it, just grunt, beat your chest, and say "No throw out! Man build it!"

Actually, that only works about 3% of the time, so just threaten to replace it with either a glowing Budweiser logo or a dead animal...

Sally said...

Way to beat all odds in those Burton genes and go out on a limb! :) I laughed and laughed and laughed some more about Nichole's reaction - and greg'a advice LOL.

We have the BIGGEST butt ugliest looking antenna you have ever seen. It was so large, it took up the second room in one of our college apartments. The, we moved it to another apartment and then two houses. It sits in t the attic of this house and I had long forgotten about it until Greg asked what we were going to go about am antenna for the new house. When I asked why we weren't bringing "The creature" along, he replied that it was permenantly affixed to this house. So, I guess he really may build one, too. *CRINGE* with Nichole.

Really, thought it's great you built it - and it works - AND it was under $10!!! Too bad NBC isn't coming through yet, but maybe you can keep trying. Keep us posted!

Becky and Jimmy said...

I laughed so hard at this post! You are too funny, Jeff! I love it, and I am super impressed because I did not get that gene. Somehow all the video game and technological-figure-it-out genes totally skipped me. Oh well! Good thing I have you and Sally! Enjoy it!

Nichole said...

You're darn right I'm serious! You have till Friday and then I'm getting rid of it myself! You want to impress me...do the laundry! WE HAVE CABLE, we don't need that ugly piece of wood with hangers.