Last year a bird decided to make a nest in the wreath (which I hate) that is hanging on our front door. I have to admit I was mildly amused for the first week. The bird did create a very elaborate nest in an ingenious spot. However, after about 2 weeks I realized nest + front door = not good. Upon coming home, I'd forget about the bird, walk up to the door, and ZOOM right past my head flies the bird. I had enough. I moved the nest to a tree in our front yard. Unfortunately for Mrs. Birdie and her eggs, I'm not nearly as skilled at securing a nest. Of course, the nest fell out of the tree and I played a part in aborting the lives of two baby birds.Alas, tragedy did not strike twice. This year, the bird came back. Same spot. Front door. I decided to live with it, as did Nichole - though our techniques approaching the door are quite different. While I've mastered the technique of putting my bag/briefcase/murse in front of my head while coming up to the door, Nichole stops out front and makes noise and tells Mrs. Birdie to please fly away. My technique is a little more efficient, but bonus to Nichole for niceties. So back to tragedy not striking twice...at least not yet.
A few days ago we started hearing A LOT of chirping. Chicks chirping. I took a picture and look what I found. They posed for the camera. And good news! Momma Birdie and Papa Birdie are very active and tend their chicks frequently. They also look a lot prettier than their chicks.
Now how long until these things fly away? Who thinks I'm going to end up with a bird in my house?
4 comments:
What is it with Burtons and birds?
Do you know about the birds in our dryer vent? The babies hatched a few days before Johnnie got here and he could hear the chirping in the guest room. They are in the house and we can't get to the nest. Now, we're waiting to see how long until they come OUT of the house. We're hoping it's soon because our laundry room smells like a bird sanctuary at the zoo and the white bird poop on the newly stained deck is not amusing. At least you got to SEE the baby birds. We could only hear them and we have NO idea how we are going to get the nest out once they are gone. Greg thinks he will have to dismantle the whole siding of the house. Burtons and birds...
Didn't mom make friends with a baby bird in her back yard? I think she even named it Lulu or something...that picture is pretty cool Jeff! How nice of you guys to share your front door. I'll look forward to more pictures next year ;)
That is so cool!
Post a Comment